Exercise and Fitness

Calf strain

02/13/2006

Question:

Hi, I`ve recently started getting calf strains while jogging(not so much while i`m walking but still there is a strain). Usually it starts almost immediately before i can even get a decent jog session in. Although i`m overweight for my height(5`2 at 78kgs) i have started eating healthier, i stretch and have stayed consistent with my fitness regime.. most of the time i`ll be on the treadmill for about an hour switching from a good walking pace to a burst of light jogging. I`d really like to up my workout every now and than but it feels like this "rock" in my calf just keeps feeling worse. At first it was bearable, the kind of normal pain you get from running but it`s come to the point where i`ve had to stop and is becoming a nuisance.. I would really appreciate any advice given on why this is happening and what i can do to help it ? Many thanks

Answer:

My suggestion is to consult your physician or a physical therapist.  Could be a number of problems from muscular to the shoes your wearing while exercising.  They can evaluate you and your problem, then help with possible treatments.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley