Face and Jaw Surgery

I can not open my mouth

11/21/2005

Question:

I WAS DIAGNOS OF NOSE CANCER ABOUT FIVE YEARS AGO,TREATEDWITH CHEMO TERAPY AND PROTO BEAM RADIATION TREATMENT AFTER NINE MONTH I STARTED HAVING DIFICULTIES TO OPEN MY MOUTH,I CAN NOT OPEN WIDER THAN HALF INCH . I NOW HAVE THOOT AND GUM PROBLEM SINCE THEN I HAVE BEEN LOOKING WITH OUT A SOLUTION .

Answer:

I get an idea of the clinical situation that you are describing, but I am not quite sure what you want me to comment on.  Please, elaborate a little more so that I can provide you with information pertinent to your particular concern.

If you want information regarding the possibility to do surgery to help you regain some of your normal mouth opening, there are procedures available to do so.  A word of caution; full range of motion will never be the same as before radiation, but it can be improved to allow for normal speech/chewing/routine dental care.

Go to the Face and Jaw Surgery health topic, where you can:

Guillermo  E Chacon, DDS Guillermo E Chacon, DDS
Associate Professor of Dentistry