Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Face and Jaw Surgery

Jaw dislocation



During an episode of domestic violence, my boyfriend twisted my face. It moved my teeth and lower jaw to one side about a quarter inch. I did have a small amount of internal bleeding and could not open my mouth all the way. It stayed like this for years because I did not visit a doctor. Can I reposition it and how?


I am not very clear about your question. Is your concern regarding not being able to open your mouth, or the jaw deviation and bite change, or both?

Your history and findings suggest either you sustained a high jaw bone fracture (condyle) close to your joint or a chronic dislocation of the disc within your jaw joint that is not reducing. You are not rehabilitated completely, i.e. opening of the mouth to full extent as before this incident. In either case, a history and physical exam along with required imaging such as x-rays, etc. by an Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon will provide a specific diagnosis. Only when the diagnosis is made can specific treatment be rendered. Your jaw malposition / bite change can be corrected anytime. I can only recommend specific treatment or type of surgery after the appropriate diagnosis.

For more information:

Go to the Face and Jaw Surgery health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Likith V Reddy, MD, DDS, FACS Likith V Reddy, MD, DDS, FACS
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati