Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Gum Diseases

Swollen gum



My gum is swollen on top of my first molar left side, it shaped like a ball. What kind of treatment do I need to cure it. Please advise...


It sounds like a periodontal or endodontic abscess. Depending on the origin, the treatment is either endodontic (root canal) or periodontal curettage and regenerative type of procedure. I recommend that you visit a dentist. He/she will probably probe around your gums to figure the possible connection between gingival sulcus and periodontal tissues. He/she may need to check whether the nerve inside of the tooth is vital and may need to take an X-ray to figure out the origin. Then he/she may prefer to refer you to a periodontist or endodontist depending on your needs.  It sounds like a periodontal problem since you are not complaining about pain.

For more information:

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology
College of Dentistry
The Ohio State University