Infectious Diseases

Cellutlitis

02/02/2006

Question:

Cellulitis is my right leg. Will my leg ever become a normal size again? I keep it elevated at night but, once I am at work for about 3 to 4 hours it began to swell. It does not hurt but my knees hurt a little. I am no long on medicine. I do take HemocytePlus, Lotensen, (atlonel is a very small white.

Answer:

Cellulitis is an infection of the skin, fatty tissue below the skin and the supporting structures. This infection destroys the normal channels that help fluid return up the leg normally. Many people experience continued swelling after this kind of infection. Elevating your leg is good as is regular exercise of the legs to help the muscles pump the fluid back up your leg. It would be best to see your doctor to determine if the kind of problem you have will go away with time. Also, your doctor may safely advise you about exercise and what you can expect.

Go to the Infectious Diseases health topic, where you can:

Carl   Fichtenbaum, MD Carl Fichtenbaum, MD