Breast Feeding

Can I begin to breastfeed at 6 weeks?

01/18/2006

Question:

Hello,

There have been quite a few bumps on the road to Breastfeeding. Immediately after my C-section (unplanned), my newborns` sugar was low and they told me they had to give him formula. So he had formula and those darn nipples to start.

I tried to breastfeed but we had quite a bit of trouble latching on yet I would pump so he would at least get colustrum, etc. Around day 10, my milk supply dried up and I have been on Reglan to help produce milk. Also, he has been latching on incorrectly, even with the help of a lactation consultant. I only get about 3 - 4 ounces per feeding. I am going to try to breastfeed with a new lactation consultant.

I AM NOT READY TO GIVE UP. Will I be able to produce enough milk with him pulling some more down do you think???? Any suggestions????

THank you very much!

Answer:

Congratulations on sticking with breastfeeding. Starting with a new lactation consultant is a great idea. Make sure that she is someone experienced in dealing with older newborns that have difficulty with breastfeeding. It's important to remember that the supply of breast milk is determined by the amount of stimulation the breast gets. So if your baby only nurses for a few minutes a couple of times a day you won't make as much milk as you would if he would nursing several times a day for longer periods.

The amount of milk that you are able to pump is often different than the amount of milk you body produces, because the baby is much more efficient at emptying the breast than any breast pump. Be sure to place the baby at the breast and let him nurse as long as he wants. If he is losing weight or not gaining appropriately for his age talk with the lactation consultant about using a supplemental nursing system. Try to avoid using a bottle for any reason. You can cup feed or syringe feed if you need to, but DON'T use a rubber nipple.

Good luck

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing