Prostate Cancer

Time Period for the Use of Lupron and Radiation

12/08/2005

Question:

I am 59 years old, diagnosed with Prostate cancer a few months before my 59 birthday, Gleason 8. I have received one Lupron injection so far (4 monther). I have received Brachytherapy and now I am getting 33 IMRT sessions. Is there a standard time for the use of Lupron injections? My radiation oncologists, says that it is up to my urologist as of for how long do I have to receive Lupron injections, because it is not clear in the literature for how long it should be given. If Lupron makes the cancer cells more suceptible to radiation, then why use it after all radiation therapy and effects have ceased?

Answer:

The effects of radiation continue after completion of treatment therefore the continued use of Lupron.  Though it remains unknown how long it should be continued most are going for 2 years after completion of radiation therapy.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology