Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Erectile disfunction on demand, but wakes

12/19/2005

Question:

Hi, Not sure how to word this...I am a 46 year old male that is in good health, perhaps a tad under weight, do some exercises each and every morning, and I do not eat poorly. I have pretty much lost all my hair on my head. I do not do any kind of cardiovascular exercise at this time, as my traveling job makes it difficult. I had a vasectomy at 28. I have a few questions. First, is it normal for testicles to shrink substantially? Second. I have not been in a relationship in a long time due to a very annoying erectile disfunction. I can be in an intimate situation and not be able to get an erection if my life depended on it. But at 3am or first thing in the morning it`s there driving me nuts? What if anything can I do to help this be more cooperative? And, what could be the problem?

Answer:

This could be hormonal, vascular, or psychological.  Start with your primary care doctor or local urologist to begin a thorough evaluation.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Allen D Seftel, MD Allen D Seftel, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology