Gum Diseases

My gum is swollen

12/26/2005

Question:

Hello, A small part of my gum on the lower jaw is swollen. Although it does not bleed but it hurts. The tooth does not hurt at all. I had my teeth cleaned six months ago and I brush twice a day. Could you please tell me what the cause could be and am I going to need root canal? Thank you.

Answer:

You may have what we call "periodontal abscess."  It generally happens when we have food stuck between gum and tooth surfaces, and it stays there for a long time. It needs to be cleaned and drained. Otherwise, it may cause more inflammation and bone loss around your tooth.

You need to visit a dentist. They need to probe around your tooth and figure out the exact cause. Also, they will want to take X-rays to make sure that there is nothing else going on around the root.  Since you are not complaining about toothache and since you noticed it recently, I think that it is most likely a periodontal abscess.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology