Alzheimer's Disease

Deciding to Visit A Physician about Possible Alzheimer's Disease

01/24/2006

Question:

Thank you for the interesting articles. I was never confronted with the medical term myasthenia gravis. I am going to look into that. I am 68 , healthy, exercise daily, and weigh 130 pounds. I take care of my husband, home cooking, canning, gardening, and do most of the driving. I enjoy life. My daughter, seemed concerned over the subtle changes in me recently. I am trying to understand what it is she is seeing...(She is a RN) I worked on a Alz unit in a nursing home for 12 years, I am familiar with Alz. I am not sure what it is she is "seeing" in me, that I cannot detect in myself. I am involved in a clinical trial which meets twice a year. The trial is all voluntary and I am happy to be able to help. Hopefully, detecting any neurologic disorders that may come my way. Also as of late November I was doing great, according to the professional who gave me the cognitive testing. Since, my daughter, has noticed the "change "in me, should I request, a neurological checkup? I am not a type of person who imagines an illness. I see a Dr. ONLY when I really must. I feel healthy and lucky to be moving about as I do. Can you help me with this decision I have to look into., to satisfy my family? Thanks .

Answer:

My advice is to ask your daughter specifically what she has noticed and then make an appointment with your primary care doctor and tell them. Knowing your health history, the physician could give some feedback and decide on whether further evaluation is needed. You could also give your daughter permission to talk to your doctor about what she has noticed. Good luck.

Go to the Alzheimer's Disease health topic, where you can:

Douglas W Scharre, MD Douglas W Scharre, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Neurology
Clinical Associate Professor of Psychiatry