Exercise and Fitness

My THIGHS.

01/18/2006

Question:

I am in my late 20s and have always hated my thighs. I did sports in high school and worked out, but I always had large muscular thighs. I am not as active now, but thwy still bother me. I feel they are not in proportion to the rest of my body. I am only 5`1 and under a 100lbs, so I don`t want to lose weight, I just want slimmer thighs. I know there is now way to spot train, but I don`t want to do activities/workouts that will just increase the muscle and size. Is there anything I can do that will work best?

Answer:

A combination of weight training, aerobic exercise, and good eating habits is the best way to lose fat and tone the muscle.  A great exercise for the thighs are squats.  The repetition and weight you'll want is a weight that you can lift 10-12 times to muscular fatigue.  Weight with less than 10 reps is for building muscle, anything over 12 reps is for muscular endurance.  Hope this helps you out.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley