Help me please

01/18/2006

Question:

I am at my wits end with my acne. I am tired of hiding my face. I have tried everything!! I feel beautiful inside, but I am ready to finally feel beautiful outside as well. Can you help me? By the way I was thinking about trying bactroban on my face...good or bad idea?

Answer:

There are a number of things we need to know about your acne and its persistence.  We need to know the therapies that you have tried, how long you have used them and in what combinations.  We need to know your hormonal status...Whether you have normal periods, whether you are on birth control pills and which ones, whether you have had endocrinologic studies to see if you have some hormonal abnormalities that can be corrected, etc.

As a rule, bactroban is not effective in acne vulgaris and probably represents an expense.  It may not have any significant outcome.

I urge you to see your board certified dermatologist so that you can have all of these issues discussed.  There are a number of newer techniques, including laser that may help sterilize the follicles and reduce the pustule formation; but certainly there are a number of things that can be tried. 

Good luck!  Your board certified dermatologist is probably your best resource.