Malignant neoplasm skin face nec

02/18/2006

Question:

About six months ago I was diagnosed with "nevus sebacious" growthe on my face. After I had it removed, the surgeon said he had found some cancer "malignant neoplasm skin face nec" but it was a cancer that grows. He was very nonchalant about it, but did have me come back and noted it on my chart. During my regular physical this week, my gp said that I should have a full body check once a year by a dermatologist. Should the surgeon have recommended this immediately after the surgery results?

Answer:

You indicated that the lesion removed from your face was nevus sebaceous.  This is a congenital hamartoma having multiple structures in it and pigmently may have low growing neoplasms in it particularly after puberty.  Simple excision is usually sufficient.  If you have other congenital growths they should be checked on a regular basis.  It is hard to tell you what you may have.  I would establish a rapport with a board certified dermatologist for an initial complete skin examination and then talk with your dermatologist about future examinations.  He would counsel you to protect your skin and if other problems are found he would instruct you in their proper care.  Most patients who have excision of a nevus sebaceous that have noninvasive tumors in them are usually checked annually for several years, but that is a matter of training and perspective.  I would suggest that you see your dermatologist and talk with him about future exams.