Laser M.D. or Plastic Surgeon?

02/14/2006

Question:

I went to an M.D. who specializes in laser surgery and had CO2 laser resurfacing done on my nose for mild Rhinophyma, due to Rosacea. After 1-2 years, the lumpiness started to return.

I don`t want to go through that procedure again, especially not every couple years. Would a plastic surgeon use a different method or be a better alternative for this problem? Or, are there no other options? Thanks

Answer:

Thanks for your question.  Rosacea is a chronic condition that usually progresses over time.  It is a condition that can be controlled, but not cured.  A helpful tip would be to identify and avoid lifestyle and environmental factors that may trigger flare-ups.  You can find this and other information at rosacea.org. I can not tell you what a plastic surgeon would do in this case, as I specialize in Dermatology. 

However, you will probably need treatment for this condition indefinitely, and if you can find a treatment that improves you condition for 1-2 years, that is a success.  It is difficult for me to discuss other options with you without evaluating you in-person.  I suggest that you see your dermatologist, so that he or she can discuss other options with you.

Janine D Miller, MD Janine D Miller, MD
Formerly

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center