Smoking and Tobacco

Black & Milds

01/23/2006

Question:

Hi My Fiance` recently began smoking Black & Milds (he is 19 years old) I am very much against smoking of any kind, but he tells me that these aren`t as dangerous. So, I was hoping to find out about Black & Mild. what are they? what is their chemical makeup (if possible)? how do they work, and respond to the body? and how dangerous are they in comparrison to cigarettes? long term effects? addiction? dependency? nicotine content? thank you so much in advance.

Answer:

Black & Milds are pipe-tobacco cigars, look like mini cigars, and are filled with 100% pipe tobacco. The Surgeon General Warning that appears on the front of the package of 5 reads: Cigars Are Not A Safe Alternative To Cigarettes.

Cigars contain nicotine and are addictive. How much nicotine someone actually gets depends not only on how much they smoke, but also how they smoke (how frequent and deep are their puffs).

The package also reads:These Cigars Are Predominantly Natural Tobacco with Non-Tobacco Ingredients Added - whatever that means. You would have to contact the producers of the product to find out the actual content, as it is not listed on the package:

John Middleton, Inc.
King of Prussia, PA USA

Good websites to refer to are the American Cancer Society:

www.cancer.org [search for cigars]

AND

Surgeon General:

www.surgeongeneral.gov/tobacco (search for The Health Consequences of Smoking: a Report of the Surgeon General [5/27/2004); then search for the interactive animation, "The Health Consequences of Smoking on the Body."]

Go to the Smoking and Tobacco health topic, where you can:

Kathy Vesha, RN, BSN, MA
Kick It!
The James