Asthma

Tiredness and Asthma

04/25/2006

Question:

I am 20 years old and was diagnosed with asthma at age 12. I had pneumonia when I was about 8 years and then chronic bronchitis after that until I was finally diagnosed with asthma. I now take Advair, and Albuterol for wheezing among other medications for allergies and occasional hives. The last two years or so, I have noticed that my inhalers are not quite effective as I would like them to be, and I am always tired, and chronically have dark black circles under my eyes. I have a hard time working full-time and often find myself missing work due to asthma or chronic colds. I go to my allergiest about 1-3 times a month and am usually put on a burst of prednisone until I am not feeling quite so bad. Is there any suggestions that I may ask my allergist for or something more I could do at home? I should be at the prime of my life but instead I feel so tired and often can not go to socal events due to the asthma. Can the tiredness be caused from the asthma?

Answer:

I would think you need to be evaluated further to reassess your diagnosis of asthma and to determine if other conditions such as allergic or non-allergic rhinitis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, chronic sinusitis, obstructive sleep apnea... are confounding your overall "asthma" control.  Poorly controlled asthma can cause fatigue but I bet there are other things in addition to asthma that are complicating your overall care that need to be further evaluated.  If your allergist is not receptive to figuring this out, then find another allergy specialist that is more aggressive in further evaluating your condition and overall health.

Go to the Asthma health topic, where you can:

Jonathan   Bernstein, MD Jonathan Bernstein, MD