Breast Feeding

Ending breast feeding

02/15/2006

Question:

I have a question. When and how do you stop brest feeding your baby? I am preganent again and my other baby is 6months old, I need to bracke her do to complications with the other baby, But she dose not like formula at all. What am I supose to do? thank you. the information that was given was great

Answer:

Congratulations on being pregnant again, but I am sorry to hear you are having problems with breastfeeding and weaning.  At 6 months your baby should be able to wean to a cup rather than a bottle and you should be starting solid foods.  Some of the problem maybe related to missing the closeness that your infant has come to expect with breastfeeding.  So as you wean continue to hold your little one while s/he is eating.

Weaning should be done over the course of several weeks, eliminating one feeding at a time.  In may be helpful to pump some and use the breastmilk in the cup so you little one still has the taste of the breastmilk.  You could slowly add formula to the breastmilk, mixing 1/4 formula with 3/4 breastmilk for a few days, then 1/2 and 1/2 etc. until you have only formula in the cup.  Experiment with different arrangements.

As you wean you may have to be firm with not breastfeeding and there will be lots of tears and tantrums because s/he is losing more than just breastmilk, s/he is losing a close connection with you.  Find other ways to develop the close time such as rocking together, holding and reading at what use to be feeding times, singing, or using a sling to hold the baby while preparing meals or other household activities.  You may want to try times of Kangaroo Care where you put your diaper clad infant on your bare chest.  Dad can do this too, and it may be a good way to get him involved with the whole process and comfort needs.

Good luck! I hope this transitions works for you and your are able to have a healthy pregnancy.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Barbara   Morrison, PhD, CNM, FNP Barbara Morrison, PhD, CNM, FNP
Assistant Professor of Nursing
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing