Itchy legs

01/25/2006

Question:

I was wondering if someone could help me please, for over a year now I have suffered from incredibly itchy legs, summer and winter. They are itchy all day but its excessive at night time. They are not red or patchy, I do not suffer from dermatitis, and I always moisturise and wash well with non soap products. I have tried a range of specialist creams but it does not help, also changing washing powders/ conditioners, nothing. The itching is so intense at night, I scratch during my sleep and it causes them to bleed. Do you have any idea what could be causing the itching? also is there any solution? Thank you.

Answer:

I sympathize with your discomfort in your lower extremities.  It would appear that you have carefully reviewed all of the external causes and are using appropriate medications.  I would suggest that you need to be carefully evaluated by your board certified dermatologist and/or primary care physician for underlying disorders.  You do not give me your age and prior medical history.  All of those could have a bearing on your process.  It is very important that you be seen and carefully evaluated.  A skin biopsy may be indicated along with blood tests to rule out systemic disease.

Good luck!