HIV and AIDS

Transmission of HIV After A Risky Moment During A Sexual Act

02/13/2006

Question:

I am paranoid about any kind of disease. However on New Year`s Eve I made a terrible mistake due to depression and had a one night stand with a girl. We had sex with a condom and lubricant, and also had anal sex. However, during a very scary moment, I realized my condom had slipped off during anal sex. It wasn`t off for more than a minute, because I checked frequently, I can guarantee that. I can also guarantee that no blood or semen was exchanged either, it was very lubricated.

Every expert I`ve asked so far says that the chances are slim, but not none that I would have transmitted it. There would have had to have been blood or a sore. They told me it cannot be transmitted through urine or feces. Just wanted to run that by you. I have learned a life lesson if I do get through this though. Thanks for the service you provide.

Answer:

The risk of your having transmitted or acquired an infection in the circumstance you describe is very low. For your peace of mind, however, you could get tested for HIV and syphilis. If you don't want to use your own doctor, many public health departments offer this testing.

Go to the HIV and AIDS health topic, where you can:

Amy Beth Kressel, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine