Anxiety and Stress Disorders

Seeking Help for Facial Issues

02/02/2006

Question:

For the past 8 months I been feeling restless and nervous all the time. I start having this after I started feeling preasure on a vein on the side of my head between my left ear and left eye. I been feeling really nervous around people and I feel dizzines. I can sleep at night only if I take sleeping pills and many times they don`t seem to have an effect on me. I have try also drinking alcohol in order to go to sleep, but also it`s effects are not as strong as before I started having this. I think I have a clotted vein, because the vein in the area seem pulsate more stronger than others and I can feel the pulsating with my fingers. I been to the doctor, but he says there`s nothing wrong with me. I told him I think I have blood cloth in my head and he just laughed. He say it was imposible only If I have had an injury to the head. I told him always sleep on that side with out moving all night. He told me I was just imagining things. Sometimes I feel like I`m going crazy because everyone says I making this stuff up, but they never test me for the possibilities. My entire side of the head hurts, my teeth feel loose and I feel preasure in my eye and on the side of the face how can this be a lie. I`m always nervous, shaky, and unable to sleep. I get so nervous sometimes I dont even feel like going out. When I talk to people my face turns red really easy and even tought that I cannot live my life like this. All since that started on my face. PLEASE HELP ME.

Answer:

It appears to me like you are suffering from some serious medical problems.  While I am certainly not able to diagnose over the internet, I am concerned about a serious anxiety disorder.  Anxiety disorders, including generalized anxiety, panic disorders and even social phobias (the inability to go out in public, talk to people or interact with others) are serious medical problems.  Often people have not just feelings of anxiety and nervousness, but also physical symptoms, including headaches, pounding pains, burning pains, difficulty breathing, nausea, diarrhea, chest pain, sweating and even vomiting.

You need a thorough psychological evaluation, in addition to your physical examination.  Your primary care doctor might be a good place to start, but you may need to see a psychologist or a psychiatrist as well.

Please see some of the weblinks for excellent information about anxiety disorders.

Good luck.

anxiety disorders of america
NIH NIMH anxiety

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders health topic, where you can:

Nancy   Elder, MD Nancy Elder, MD