Thyroid Diseases

Diet Tips For Hyperthyroidism

02/06/2006

Question:

Are there any specific diet tips for someone with hyperthyroidism? I`m already under a doctor`s care, but I still have questions. Recommending I eat foods with vitamin K is such a vage answer. So if you have any suggestions please let me know. Thank you!

Answer:

Really, diet therapy is not a routine part of the treatment for hyperthyroidism.  If you eat a large amount of iodine while the thyroid is overactive (if you are not taking any anti-thyroid drugs such a PTU or methimazole) that might make the overactive thyroid worse.  However, this would mainly be a concern for people taking huge amounts of iodine - suck as buying kelp tablets from a health food store.  The amount of iodine that is in salt, for example, is usually not enough to worsen an overactive thyroid, and we do not routinely put people on low iodine diets while we are treating them for an overactive thyroid.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE