Facial hair

02/16/2006

Question:

Please help! I have a 12 year old daughter that has a lot of facial hair above her upper lip. She bought a buffer but does not know if it causes ingrown hairs or a 5 o clock shadow. Does it cause all of that? If it does, what can she do to get rid of it? Please help me because she is really having a hard time with it!

Answer:

While facial hair is most frequently associated with family traits, its significant onset at age  12 would suggest that your daughter should be carefully evaluated for possible hormonal abnormalities.  I would urge you to see a pediatric dermatologist in the nearest medical center for evaluation and to see if there is any difficulty.  The dermatologist will certainly want to know onset of menses, if any, and family chararteristics on both sides of the family in the women.

If the hair is normal, I would suggest that you see a board certified dermatologist that specializes in cosmetic dermatology for removal of the hair on a permanent basis.  A board certified electrolysis might be an option also, but I would have the entire situation reviewed by your dermatologist that specializes in cosmetic dermatology.

Please do not delay having your daughter carefully reviewed by a pediatric endocrinologist/dermatologist.