Hemochromatosis

Phlebotomy procedure for hemochromatosis

02/20/2006

Question:

My mother has been diagnosed with hemochromatosis. She lives abroad and received her first phlebotomy treatment recently. During this treatment, after her blood was removed, some unknown liquid solution was then injected back into her body. I have never encountered this information in any of the materials I have read. Is this a normal procedure?

Answer:

It is very common to use solutions to irrigate lines during any intravenous procedure.  Perhaps this is what was witnessed.  Sometimes other medications could be administered while IV access is available.  Certainly I can't comment on that without knowing further details regarding other treatments that might have been given. 

I would strongly suggest contacting the care provider and relating any questions you have regarding the procedure to them so they can explain to you more fully what it is they were actually doing on each procedure.

Go to the Hemochromatosis health topic, where you can:

Mark   Wurster, MD Mark Wurster, MD
Former Clinical Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine