HIV and AIDS

Transmission of HIV Through a Sexual Act With Someone of Unknown HIV Status

02/18/2006

Question:

I had sex with an HIV infected call girl. Of course, I used a condom, but unfortunately during sex it bursted and I didn`t know about it until we were finished. Tell me what are my chances to get an infection? Is there any hope that maybe I am not infected? If I got infected when will it appear in an HIV test because I had sex only two days ago. Waiting for your reply.  

Answer:

Yes, there is hope that you aren't infected. The risk of a male acquiring HIV infection from an infected female partner during insertive vaginal intercourse is estimated to be 5 per 10,000, which is a pretty low risk.

You should be tested for HIV now and again in three months. If both tests are negative, then you didn't get infected this time. While you are at the doctor's getting tested, please ask lots of questions about your risk of catching HIV, so that you can get your questions answered in person.

Go to the HIV and AIDS health topic, where you can:

Lisa A Haglund, MD Lisa A Haglund, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine