HIV and AIDS

Is It Possible to Have Early Signs of HIV Infection Within Four Days of Exposure?

02/18/2006

Question:

Is it possible to have early signs of HIV infection within 4 days of exposure? I am not sure I was exposed. I thought the possibility was minor, receiving unprotected oral sex, I may have had a small cut near the base of the penis from the day before, but this was covered by his hand. I have a sore throat and chills which developed 3 to 4 days later. It is the second day of the sore throat and it is much better, I expect to be 100% better tomorrow. No other signs like nausea, rash, or loss of appetite. Am I being paranoid?

Answer:

The symptoms of acute HIV seroconversion usually occur at around 3 weeks after exposure. 3 days after exposure may be a bit soon. The symptoms of acute HIV seroconversion last for 1-3 weeks and include fevers, sore throat, myalgias, arthralgias and a skin rash. Your symptoms seem to have resolved quite quickly.

Go to the HIV and AIDS health topic, where you can:

Peter T Frame, MD Peter T Frame, MD
Emeritus Professor of Clinical Medicine