Congenital nevus

02/18/2006

Question:

My son has a medium size nevus on his scalp. His doctors are discussing the option of surgery. If he does have surgery, will it effect his hair growth? Which surgery are they likely to perform and will he only need one operation? Also, why was he born with a nevus when his twin brother is absolutly clear of any skin defect?

Answer:

Hello, thank you for your question. However, this is something that you need to discuss with the surgeon who is performing the operation. I am sure that your surgeon will try to cause as little scarring as possible with the removal of the nevus. However, the healing is different from patient to patient, as some patients tend to heal better(with less scarring) than others. I recommend that you ask your surgeon all of these questions, and voice your concern about his hair growth, and possible additional operations. Also, ask him if you can do anything to help the skin heal better after the operation. Thank You.

Janine D Miller, MD Janine D Miller, MD
Formerly

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center