Urinary Tract Cancers

BCG

02/17/2006

Question:

I am a 59 year old female about to undergo my 7th TUR in the past 2 1/2 years, so far none of the tumors have been invasive. I did get a 6 week course of BCG 2 years ago. I recently obtained a 2nd opinion and that doctor recommended another 6 week course of BCG with maintenance treatments every 3 months as long as there are no new tumors. If any new tumors occur, he suggests BCG with interferon. This doctor deals primarily with urological cancers and is chairman of the uruology dept at a medical school. My current urologist does not agree, he feels the current data does not support further BCG treatments. Also he says because I have cystitis I would be at some risk for contracting TB. He did say that if I wanted the BCG he would give it to me. Where can I find more information to help me make a decision as to what course of treatment to follow?

Answer:

Based on your description I would support the use of BCG as has been suggested.  These treatments are helpful in reducing the likelihood of recurrence and also delaying further progression of the disease.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Go to the Urinary Tract Cancers health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology