Bumps on back and inner tops of legs

02/23/2006

Question:

Since I was 18 I have had red bumps all over my legs. The basic description would be that they are small hard red bumps. There is not a "white head" on them. When I pop them ( I know I shouldn`t) a hard white ball of puss comes out kind of like a black head, but white. Sometimes are hair come with it, but most of the time not. They are all over my legs. I have always assumed they were ingrown hairs since I have curly hair. But I am fair skinned and the hair on my body is very fine! What could this be? I looked up Folliculitis and found a picture of what it looks like. But the pictures shows red bumps with with heads on them. Mine do not have white heads. Help! I don`t even wear shorts anymore or let a guy even think about touching my legs....

Answer:

Your description suggests several diagnoses. I suggest that you obtain a clinical evaluation by a board certified dermatologist who would need to biopsy to clearly define what you have.  There are genetic disorders that may present with what you appear to have.  You could have keratosis pilaris, perforating collagenosis or perforating elastoses and these diagnoses are established by trained eyes and by biopsy.  It clearly is not routine folliculitis.  Please see your board certified dermatologist at your earliest convenience so that the correct diagnosis can be established.