Infectious Diseases

Clymidia incubation

03/03/2006

Question:

I have been married for 6 years. I have not had extra-marital sex. My wife claims that she has not had extra martial sex. I recently began to experience symptoms of clymidai and was diagonosed with such. When I was single, I had contacted clymidia approximately 6 to 7 times. Question - could this disease have been incubating in my system and recently cuased a breakout in me?

Answer:

Chlamydia ("kla-MID-ee-uh") is a curable sexually transmitted infection (STI), which is caused by bacteria called Chlamydia trachomatis. You can get genital chlamydial infection during oral, vaginal, or anal sexual contact with an infected partner. It can cause serious problems in men and women, such as penile discharge and infertility respectively, as well as in newborn babies of infected mothers. Chlamydia is one of the most widespread bacterial STIs in the United States. The Chlamydia bacteria live in vaginal fluid and in semen. Chlamydia is sometimes called the "silent" disease because you can have it and not know it. Symptoms usually appear within 1 to 3 weeks after being infected. Those who do have symptoms may have an abnormal discharge (mucus or pus) from the vagina or penis or experience pain while urinating. These early symptoms may be very mild. The infection may move inside your body if it is not treated. Bacteria can infect the cervix, fallopian tubes, and urine canal in women, where they can cause pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). In men the bacteria can cause epididymitis (inflammation of the reproductive area near the testicles). PID and epididymitis are two very serious illnesses. C. trachomatis also can cause inflammation of the rectum and lining of the eye (conjunctivitis or "pink eye"). The bacteria also can infect the throat from oral sexual contact with an infected partner. s for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that more than 3 million people are infected each year.

Go to the Infectious Diseases health topic, where you can:

Pamposh   Kaul, MD Pamposh Kaul, MD