sores on body

02/23/2006

Question:

I have red sores that vary in size on my body. I get them every once in awhile in diffrent areas but now I have about 4 that I can see. I have never had that many before. They do not hurt but they look gross. They are red and some scab over and some look like I have a burn. Please help on figuring it out on what it may be and what I can do to get rid of them. Thanks!!

Answer:

It is difficult to give you a precise diagnosis with the history and the description that I have received.  The intermittent nature of the process suggests impetigo or even ecthyma which are bacterial infections.  Occasionally these can be due to viruses such as herpes simplex but it is very difficult to give you a precise diagnosis.  A board certified dermatologist needs to see your lesions, examine them carefully, possibly biopsy them, and do bacterial and viral cultures.  In that way, they can give a precise diagnosis and develop a treatment program that would be very beneficial to you.  Please seen your board certified dermatologist soon.