Small white patch on back and cheek

05/31/2006

Question:

Hello, I am 22 years old, and have had two small white patches - one on the skin of my lower back, and the other on my right cheek, for a couple of years. They are not raised, are slightly drier than the surrounding skin, and do not itch or get irritated in any way. Since I have had them for some time and they do not appear to be changing in size or character, I was wondering if you could help me figure out what has caused them. I use a salicylic acid-based skin care regime, don`t smoke or drink, and take good care of my skin with a healthy diet, lots of water and exercise. Please advice me on any treatment that I can perform at home to get rid of or fade away these patches. Thank you.

Answer:

I would recommend that you be evaluated by a dermatologist. There are many reasons that areas of our skin become hypopigmented, and it is hard to evaluate without directly seeing your skin.

Janine D Miller, MD Janine D Miller, MD
Formerly

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center