Athletic Training

Sprained ankle

02/23/2006

Question:

I sprained my ankle playing basketball one year ago and it was in the middle of the season and we coudln`t afford to not have me play so i just taped and wrapped it hardcore after a week of resting and played the rest of the year with it hurting some what but not lots. I have never sprained it since but might of tweaked it once or twice nad i just got back into basketball 2 months ago and ever since it has been swelled up pretty badly. It doesn`t hurt really but right by the ankle bone that sticks out the side there is a huge buildup and looks like a small tumor almost. I am guessing it is fluid. I was wondering if there was any way to make the swellin go away or to get the fluid out of my ankle through icing or heatin or any stretches or treatments? Also is there a way to have my ankle fluid drained bc it is swollen up a bunch compared to my other ankle and almost looks funny?? Thanks alot

Answer:

I think the first thing that you need to do is see a physician to find the source of the recurrent swelling. It is not uncommon for the joint to have residual swelling after a significant sprain. Seeing a physician could help determine if you have a small chip fracture or loose body floating around that could be causing this swelling.

Once a fracture has been ruled out, then your physician may prescribe rehabilitation exercises to get back to a pre-injury state. Ice and heat are both appropriate at this point, but be sure to ice after practice. This can be done two or three times a day in addition to after practice.  If your ankle is stiff before practice you might try heating it in warm water with the temperature between 98 degrees and 100 degrees for about 5-10 minutes.  Ask your athletic trainer for some theraband exercises that you can do to start strengthening your ankle.

I wish you the very best in your recovery effort.

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Chalisa   Fonza, MA, ATC Chalisa Fonza, MA, ATC
Athletic Trainer
Clinical Instructor at the School of Allied Medical Professionals