Smoking and Tobacco

Cotinine

02/24/2006

Question:

I am having a cotinie test I have not smoked for over 2 months will it show

Answer:

According to Dr. Mary Ellen Wewers, Professor & Associate Dean for Research Interim Director, Center for Health Outcomes, Policy and Evaluation Studies (HOPES), The Ohio State University, School of Public Health:

"Nicotine has a short half-life (2-4 hours) so often it is not detectable after 24 hours. Cotinine, its major metabolite, has a half-life of 16-19 hours so it usually is detectable for 4-7 days, depending upon amount of consumption."

It’s hard to answer your question; it definitely depends on the amount of nicotine in the tobacco product, how much is used, and how it is used. Cotinine can be detected in the saliva as well. Other sources for information on Cotinine are the Foundation for Blood Research, www.fbr.org and the Centers for Disease Control: www.cdc.gov/tobacco

(See the CDC’s Third National Report on Human Exposure to Environmental Chemicals: "Spotlight on Cotinine," July 2005.)

Go to the Smoking and Tobacco health topic, where you can:

Kathy Vesha, RN, BSN, MA
Kick It!
The James