Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Braces

Swallowing a brace with wire in it

03/06/2006

Question:

I am 14 years old and just realized I must have swallowed a back brace and the wire broke off with it. The wire was approximately 1 cm. I am quite concerned. Is there anything I should know? Obviously, we will call my orthodontist in the morning but thought it may be good for others to have this info on your site. Thanks for your help.

Answer:

Certainly you should call your orthodontist. The main concern in swallowing any portion of an appliance is that it might lodge in the airway. You would know that immediately. Most times a wire 1 cm will pass through the alimentary canal with no problem. If you have no symptoms there should be no problem, but by all means inform your orthodontist.

For more information:

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry
College of Dentistry
The Ohio State University