Braces

Bone loss from braces

03/06/2006

Question:

I am 34 years old and I got my braces taken off approximately 3 months ago and have been using the "perfector" to move my teeth into the final position. I went in for x-rays because my front bottom teeth are quite loose and it doesn`t appear to be hardening. The x-rays show that the bone has receded. I am planning on getting regular retainers in hopes of resolving the issue of loose teeth. Question - will the bone grow back and how long does it take for the teeth to harden? Thanks!

Answer:

There are a number of factors that must be analyzed to answer your question. I have no way of knowing if you have any contributing factors such as periodontal disease. Certainly a standard retainer would add stability, but it seems that if you have bone recession, you need to ask your general dentist about that or consult with a periodontist. Bone loss does not come from orthodontic treatment per se, unless there are other systemic or localized hygiene factors.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry