Osteoporosis

Didrical and Thyroid Medication

04/04/2006

Question:

I take 125mg. of natural thyroid daily,half early a.m. and second half with lunch. (Cancer of thyroid)This keeps my T3 level happy My concerns are: Will Didrocal reduce or affect the thyroid prescription? Since I need to take my thyroid medication first thing in the a.m. is it ok to take Didrocal an hour before bed time? I have some osteopenia.

Answer:

Most bisphosphonates are supposed to be taken first thing in the morning on an empty stomach with a full glass of water and no food or other beverages for 30-60 minutes.  The dosing information for Didrocal on the internet states that it is recommended that it be taken at bedtime but not within two hours of food.  The product information that comes with the prescription should tell you what the dosing recommendations are.  If instructions are not included with the medication, ask your pharmacist or clinician.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology