Music and Adult ADHD

03/07/2006

Question:

I have music playing in my head at all times. Having background noise like a tv can quiet it, but I can`t think of a time when I don`t have it playing. I wake up and songs are going through my head. It is usually something I have heard in the last 24 hours. Is this a sypmtom of Adult ADHD? I also cannot keep my hands still and am always playing with my fingernails, a pen (opening an closing), or running them on the edge of furniture or clothing. I usually only sleep for 1.5 hr at a time and wake up about 4 times a night. I can`t remember the last time I slept through the whole night. Any advice?

Answer:

What you describe could be signs/symptoms of several different things. I urge you to discuss these with your primary care doctor. If s/he does not feel sure what is going on after speaking with you, ask who s/he recommends you see.

It sounds like at least some of these things must get in the way of normal daily activities and healthy functioning and that your life could be quite improved by getting the appropriate help.

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine