Athletic Training

Pitching live arm

03/15/2006

Question:

This is my 10 year old sons first year in live arm. He will be pitching. I have heard alot of stories on how much he should pitch during a game and during the week. Can you give me correct procedure to protect a 10yr. olds arm?

Answer:

While I do not have a lot of experience with this type of question, I can tell you what the Little League rules are.

The rules state that adolescents not be permitted to pitch more than 6 innings and must be given three days rest between games.

I feel that the most important aspect of this is the athlete's recovery.  How does his arm feel?  Is he recovering in that time period?  It also depends on the type of pitches that he throws. If he is throwing breaking balls and other off-speed pitches, they place more stresses on the elbow.

Dr. James Andrews who works out of Alabama, has done a lot of research on this and has good info on number of pitches and how to manage the off-speed pitches.  That may be a place to research this.

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Jeffery  A Bright, MS, ATC/L Jeffery A Bright, MS, ATC/L
Assistant Athletic Trainer, Department of Athletics
Instructor