Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Baby teeth with adult teeth

03/10/2006

Question:

I saw the other posting about baby teeth. My 7 year old son is experiencing the same ordeal. His two bottom front baby teeth are still in and one adult tooth is practically in (slightly crooked and parallel to the baby tooth in front of it) and the other permanent tooth is surfacing (breaking through the gum). I have been to the dentist 2 times already and was told it is not uncommon and was told it may be a few months before the tooth falls out. The tooth is "loose" but no where near ready to "fall" out. Should it be pulled or ride it out. You can definitely see that he has an "extra" tooth there when he talks. I am worried and the permanent tooth is very visible. I have never seen kids his age with two teeth (one in front of the other).

Answer:

As your dentist has explained, the eruption of permanent lower incisors on the "tongue side" of the baby teeth is quite common. It does no harm to remove those baby teeth so the permanent teeth will move forward, but it is rarely necessary as they will move up when the baby teeth fall out naturally. Most dentists don't want to put a child through the process of extracting a couple of teeth if there is no evidence that the procedure is indicated.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry