Embarrassing flushing

09/25/2006

Question:

I often have embarrassing flushing of ears, sometimes one, sometimes both. Also on my cheeks and across my nose. I also, most of the time have, and have had for many years red palms and soles of my feet. I also sometimes have a fine tingling of the nose, and now am having tingling in my left ear, just inside it. Also ofen have red, peeling skin over ear cartiledge areas.

Answer:

The issues that you raise are important, and you should be carefully evaluated by an internist.  There are a number of medical conditions associated with hormones that may cause flushing and these processes should be looked at carefully.  There are several people who have studied flushing from a dermatology standpoint and Jonathan K. Wilkin of Columbus, Ohio has written extensively on that issue.  I do not think he is seeing patients, but he might be willing to share his expertise with you or your physician. 

Please see your board certified internist and/or endocrinologist at your earliest convenience.