Sole of feet peeling

09/27/2006

Question:

I`ve looked up my problem over the net and none of it really describe of what I have. My skin is peeling off like a snake would shed it`s skin. This is the first time I`ve seen this. I`m 26 years old and a male. It`s not the same as athlete`s foot either, but I`m an active runner. I have used lotion and other skin moisturizers and nothing seems to help. It`s also accoured during the winter months. I would just like to know if it`s a serious thing or not and if I could do something to prevent it appening again. Thanks.

Answer:

I would suggest that you contact Dr. Brian Adams with the Department of Dermatology at UC College of Medicine  who has made a specialty of sports medicine dermatology.  It sounds as if you may have a genetic problem with your feet accentuated by running.  In any event,  you need to be carefully examined and even biopsied to be certain of the cause of the problem.  Once that is accomplished then we can talk about whether it is serious or not and preventative measures.