Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

Antibiotic cover

04/06/2006

Question:

My father had a heart attck 3 years ago and while recovering in hospital he was told he would probably need Anti Biotic Cover when having dental work done. When he recently had tooth extractions and fillings the dentist told him it was a waste of time and money him having the Antibiotic Cover. We have just recently changed dentist and wonder why his views are different to the doctors. Should my father be taking Anti Biotic Cover or not????

Answer:

The American Heart Association guideline on the use of prophylactic antibiotic prior to dental procedures as it applies to your father's case indicates that antibiotics would be used if the heart attack happened within 6 months prior to the dental procedures.  Therefore, the need for antibiotics was merely an extra precaution step.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Abdel Rahim   Mohammad, DDS, MS, MPH, FAAOM, FACD Abdel Rahim Mohammad, DDS, MS, MPH, FAAOM, FACD
Clinical Professor of Geriatrics