Extremely oily skin

03/29/2006

Question:

I would like to see some more information on extremely oily skin in adults over 40. This is something that runs in my family and I have tried many different approaches to control the oil including accutane 3 different times. I use many different oil absorbent products also. I still fight break outs and have blurred vision due to oil in my eyes within 6 - 8 hours of washing my face. Any suggestions?

Answer:

Your complaint is based on your family and hormone production, and in your case is probably unique to your family and family members.  This complaint by itself is not associated with any significant medical problem that I am familiar with.  It frequently is seen in adults who had to control their acne earlier in life, but not necessarily.  I think your best answer is to gently wipe your face with moistened wipes on a regular basis. Anti-androgens can be used in both sexes, but in women they must be on birth control pills to prevent malformed male fetuses.  You might wish to consult your board certified dermatologist and/or an endocrinologist for suggestions.