Acne Rosacea

03/29/2006

Question:

I had two questions please, concerning Acne Rosacea, specifically the over-production of the sebaceous glands of the nose. Is Accutane the only drug that is used to reduce the production of these glands? And, can oral antibiotics, like Doxycycline ever actually increase the oil production of the sebaceous glands?

Answer:

While Accutane may cause some atrophy or downsizing of sebaceous glands of the face and other parts of the body, it really does not reverse sebaceous hyperplasia which is common in the central face and forehead of patients both with and without rosacea.  Oral antibiotics do not help.  I have found that very light Accutane therapy will cause the glands to involute for long periods of time without much damage and no scar if properly applied; otherwise the glands will have to be removed and that will leave scarring.  I wish there were a better solution to your problem.  You might contact a cosmetic dermatologist since those individuals have a number of different lasers that might remove the glands with minimum scarring.