Tuberculosis

Pediatric tuberculosis

03/27/2006

Question:

I have a 1 year old daughter who was diagnosed to have pulmonary tuberculosis bilaterally. Having to check my father`s health.  I let him do x-ray in which I found there is still growth again in his lungs. What could be a good treatment on my daughter health?

Answer:

It is very important to get a full course of proper treatment for your 1 year old daughter with pulmonary tuberculosis. Because she is so young, the infection could spread and cause tuberculous meningitis or disseminated tuberculosis without treatment. Please find a doctor with expertise in tuberculosis to help you arrange the therapy. Your daughter will need to take 3 or 4 different TB medications every day for at least 6 months to have a high chance of being cured. Which medications are best for your daughter depends on how extensive the tuberculosis disease is and whether the Mycobacterium tuberculosis bacteria is resistant to the commonly used anti-tuberculous medications or not.

It sounds like you suspect your father may have pulmonary tuberculosis also, and that you also suspect your father may be the source of your daughter's tuberculosis infection. If this is the case, it will be very useful for your daughter's doctor to know about your father's disease, particularly whether his Mycobacterium tuberculosis bacteria is drug-resistant or not.

Go to the Tuberculosis health topic, where you can:

Lisa A Haglund, MD Lisa A Haglund, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine