Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

Numb tongue and mouth

05/15/2006

Question:

My 87 year old grandmother lives with me and for the 6 months she has had a numb tongue and mouth and half of her lips. I have taken her to the GP, ENT, Nuerologist and the Dentist...none can tell me anything. She had a 3 month Aldera treatment 2 months prior to getting new dentures and once she got the new dentures it seems the problems started. We have gotten the dentures relined so they fit properly but her tongue remains swollen and numb even still. I have asked her doctor about drug interactions and everything and cannot get an answer. SHe has now lost 7 lbs because she can`t eat very well.

She takes Diovan, Norvas, Zyrtec and Iron for anemia..... can you help me?

Answer:

I would suggest removing the dentures for at least 2 weeks.  If the numbness disappears, that would indicate that the dentures are the problem.  In this case you should take her to see a prosthodontist to find out the problem with the dentures.

If the numbness is still present, I would suggest taking her to an oral surgeon to evaluate possible nerve damage or exposure of the nerve on the top of the ridge (gums).

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Alfredo  Hernandez, DDS, MS Alfredo Hernandez, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Comprehensive Care
School of Dental Medicine