Gum Diseases

Periodontal disease

03/29/2006

Question:

I am a 63 year old woman and have gone to the dentist twice a year for reguler check ups and cleanings. I was just told I had periodontal disease which is going to result in osseous surgery,Regenerative Therapy and the extraction of one back tooth. Yes, I know how to brush and floss every day. My question is since I have gone to the dentist for the last eight years. Why was this just discovered? I have measurements of 10 and 11 on three teeth. Shouldn`t this have been noticed some time ago, like a measurement of 5 and action taken before all this surgery is needed? Perhaps with lower levels of measurement just a periodontal scaling and root planing may have saved me from all this surgery. What is your opinon please?

Answer:

I am assuming that you have never been diagnosed with periodontal disease and you did not have any previous periodontal treatment (other than regular cleaning). I am adding this comment because periodontal disease is a chronic inflammatory process that tends to have burst-out times (it may become active and cause severe tissue loss in a short time) and it tends to recur following treatment. If you do not fall into this category....

Then, did your dentist examine you every time you went for regular cleaning? Did he/she or the hygienist probe everywhere in your mouth and record numbers? Did they regularly take X-rays? Or did you just receive regular cleaning?

If a complete periodontal examination is not performed, it is very easy to miss the "breaking down" spots until they become clinically obvious with tooth mobility, inflammation, etc.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology