Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Missing lateral incisors

04/03/2006

Question:

My daughter is 23 months and there is no sign of her Upper Lateral Incisors. I know that late teething is possible, and have been waiting patiently. All of her other teeth (12 in total) have erupted on time, including her first molars(at 14 months) and her eye teeth (23 months). There is now gap forming between her Upper Incisors. She is otherwise a healthy child - Should I be concerned? and if so, should I consult a Dentist or a Doctor?

Answer:

While the timing of the eruption of baby teeth can vary greatly from child to child, the sequence of their eruption is less variable. From your description it does sound like your daughter is missing her upper lateral incisors. Take her to see a pediatric dentist who will take an x-ray to confirm the presence or absence of these teeth. S/he can also advise you about managing this situation as it is likely that your daughter will be missing her permanent lateral incisors as well.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry