Small hard lump under skin

04/17/2006

Question:

About two or three months ago I was in the hospital for issues with abdominal pain and chest pains. It ended up being nothing serious, but while i was there I had an IV(needle) on the left side of my arm inserted into a vein. It was slightly painfull and for about a week after I got out of the hospital my arm hurt in the area near where the needle was inserted. Just last night (a few months later)i felt a small hard object/growth under my skin right near the sight of where the needle was. It`s not painful and seems to be somewhat loose under my skin(still sort of attached to something but movable)I don`t know how long it took to grow to that point. But I never noticed it before. It`s very small and cannot be seen by looking at it. It can only be noticed be feeling it. Do you have any idea what it might be? Should I go to the doctor and have them check it out? Thanks

Answer:

For lumps, it is best to get checked by a doctor, especially if it does not go away in a week or so. There are many possibilities. Sometimes, even just a scar can form a lump. Another benign condition called dermatofibroma is possible. But it's always best to see a doctor.

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center