Scarring

04/17/2006

Question:

I have had Molluscum Contagiosum and I`ve went to a doctor about the scarring. Mine have been gone for almost two years now and they left scars. What should I do to heal the scars?

Answer:

It is hard to eradicate scars.  They represent the body's attempt to close a defect and there are several aftermaths of that.  One would be enlarged collections of connective tissue which might leave a bump and dysfunction of your pigment forming cells which might leave either an increased color or decreased color, or both. 

At two years not much can be done, except to excise the area and hope that the new wound closes with better cosmetic results.  I recommend that you use waterproofable cosmetics that can be blended to your skin.  Most large cosmetic counters have the therapeutic materials that can be beneficial if the scars are in areas that are frequently seen.  I would urge you to use the cosmetics and time will minimize the scar.